Sometimes the best camera is the one that’s in your pocket
We love telling stories; and sometimes one of the best ways to do that is with the camera that’s in pretty much everyone’s pocket – a smartphone.
Modern smart phones are pretty powerful things – and with a little bit of knowledge you can get some amazing results from them. To try and help people get the most from their device, we got everyone in the team involved in putting together a short video with a few hints and tips.
And we thought we’d better practice what we preached – so the whole thing is shot on a smart phone as well.
If you need some help with what tripods and microphones to go for, below are our top tips for Smart Phone video greatness:
1) If you’ve already got a tripod handy, either for photography or video, then getting a mount to hold your smartphone will be enough – something like this should do the trick – http://www.joby.com/mobile/griptight-mount-only
2) If you need to start from scratch, but still need to be small and portable, then something like the Gorilla Pod we used in the video will hold your phone and the flexible legs will enable you to stand it on surfaces, or attach it to furniture – http://www.joby.com/mobile/griptight-gorillapod-stand
3) If you want to go the whole hog and get a full size tripod to get your camera up to head height, then something like this full size tripod with phone mount will be ideal – https://www.amazon.co.uk/Professional-Camera-Tripod-Holder-iPhone/dp/B00JQW8VU4
1) This tie clip microphone is specifically designed to work with smartphones – http://www.rode.com/microphones/smartlav-plus
2) If you’ve already got a professional microphone with an XLR connection then you can get an interface to be able to use it with your smartphone – http://www.tascam.com/product/ixz/
3) If you want to get the reporter look going, then a handheld mic designed for iPhones like this one – http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigmic/ will be what you’re looking for.